It is 2020 now, and online casinos have only been around for just under a quarter of a century. This doesn’t mean, however, that gambling itself is anything new. It is well documented that lucky games have been around since ancient times already. Thanks to the ultimate appeal of being able to win money without actually working for it, gambling has been able to hang around and probably will forever. Also, with the advent of new technology, gambling has been able to change with the times and become even more popular than it has ever been.
One of the greatest new hits in modern gambling has definitely been live casinos. In this article, we will tell you everything that you need to know about this crazy phenomenon, ranging from how it works to what it’s all about!
Without further ado, let’s get this show on the road and those questions rolling!
What is live casino in a nutshell?
This is a huge question to start with, but let us try to be as to-the-point as we can.
Live casinos are basically the embodiment of a real-life casino’s table games section come to life in an online form. Instead of being mere computer programmed versions of the real thing, live casinos strive to bring you as close to authentic casino atmosphere as humanly possible. This is done by combining actual real-life croupiers with an easy-to-use virtual interface, which allows you to place your bets on a real casino table captained by an actual living and breathing person. In addition to you and the croupier, other customers can also join in on the fun by choosing the same table as you, making for an even more social experience.
Why choose live casinos instead of real casinos?
The answer to this question is twofold as it is a lot about your preference whether you would like to sit at a real casino or prefer to just stay at home where you’re the most comfortable. The second part of the answer is even more important, however.
In order to be able to play games such as blackjack, roulette and craps in real life, you would normally have to physically make your way to your closest brick-and-mortar casino. While for those living in London, for instance, this would probably not take too long, those of us in more rural and smaller areas would have to go to great lengths to accomplish this. This is why live casinos exist and let us enjoy our favourite games from the comfort of our own home. And, what is more, dealing with money may very well be easier when you have the home-field advantage and are not surrounded by other casino sharks pouring their casino chips on the table. At home, it is easier not to get sucked too far into the experience, and it is always good to maintain a healthy distance from gambling too much.
How on earth do live casinos work?
Live casinos are pretty amazing, to be honest. Game providers clearly have to have more technology than just a webcam and a deck of cards to be able to broadcast their games live.
Evolution Gaming, NetEnt Live, Authentic Gaming, Ezugi, and Extreme Live Gaming are but a few examples of game providers who have dipped their toes into live casino gaming. These companies have their studios around the world from where they broadcast their games. In these studios, they employ hundreds of table game professionals who know the rules and familiarise themselves with the technology presented to them.
In front of them, live casino croupiers see a screen with game information and the room’s chat. This is how the croupier is able to communicate with the players and read some of the key information including any winning streaks, player decisions, and big individual wins.
Perhaps the most miraculous thing about live casino technology is the fact that in card games, each of the cards has a small magnet chip attached to them. The deck is then placed next to a red reader where the dealer swipes the cards quickly before dealing them. This way, the reader can easily (and instantly) count the value of the player’s cards without the players having to get their hands dirty. Everything is automated.
What is the minimum bet at live casinos?
As with all brick-and-mortar casinos and their table games, live casino tables always have maximum and minimum bets listed. The great thing about live casinos—and not so much brick-and-mortar casinos—is the fact that these games are meant for basically everyone out there, ranging from small-time gamblers to bonafide highrollers. In other words, most casinos have a wide selection of tables with different minimum and maximum bets, ranging everywhere from about £0.50 to £10,000 per round. The more choices that the online casinos give you, the more people they will have playing their games.
Does every online casino have live casino games?
Sadly, not every online casino has live casino games available, but nowadays we would say that about 9 out of 10 do. This does not mean, however, that every online casino has a lot of them or that they are all of the highest quality.
When searching for a great first live casino experience, we would advise you to keep your eyes peeled for live casino games from NetEnt Live and Evolution Gaming. These are two of the biggest live casino providers in the business today, with the market-leader Evolution Gaming focusing their efforts on live casino games alone. With these two behemoths, you are sure to find only premium games, which will give you the best live experience available today.
What are live casino croupiers there for?
Live casino croupiers are the ones making sure that everything flows nicely. In addition to sending the ball for a spin in roulette and dealing cards on blackjack, croupiers do actually have other jobs as well.
Just about every live casino game comes with a chat function, which can be used to chat with both the croupier and other players. While some people might think that talking to the croupier is somehow discouraged or against the code of conduct, this could not be farther from the truth. Most croupiers that we have talked to have been extremely pleased to have someone engage with them and make their time fly. It is the same as with almost any job, really—working is more fun when you have someone there in the trenches with you!
Most croupiers are very happy to have deep conversations about who they are, what they have done in their lives and all sorts of other things. Evolution Gaming’s Dream Catcher game, for instance, is actually all about viewer participation and everyone having a jolly good time.
What games can I find from live casinos?
Live casinos have become very, very popular among gamblers all around the world, which is why there’s absolutely no shortage of games available. Whether you like blackjack, roulette, craps, baccarat, casino poker, or trying something completely new, it is unlikely that you will be disappointed.
We are currently at a stage where most live casino game providers are starting to see just how extremely popular live casino games have become. This, in turn, has lead to even more inventive and better games being created. If you do not mind venturing out of your comfort zone for a bit, you might even want to try some new versions of old classics such as the Double Ball Roulette and Infinite Blackjack. With live casinos, there are always fresh new ways to gamble and try and win some of that extra money!
Why choose live casino table games over normal online casino table games?
Again, this is mostly a matter of preference, but there are a few things where we believe live casinos trump normal online casino table games. Here is a list that we came up with.
- Live casinos have a more leisurely pace. When playing all by yourself, things can easily get quite hectic. For instance, with computer programmed blackjack, it is always you who is solely responsible for setting the pace as to how fast your rounds will be. This, in turn, can lead to you losing your money in just mere moments. At live casinos, however, you will be sitting at a table with other people, which unavoidably slows the game down and somewhat forces you to keep your cool and to take your time. Unless you are looking to spend just a quick 5 to 15 minutes at the table, you might want to relax and try live casino games.
- Live casinos are more social. When playing at a live casino, you never have to be alone even if you physically are. You can always have a chat with the croupier and your fellow players and feel that you are spending your time with other people instead of just aimlessly pressing buttons in the dark.
- Live casinos feel more real and less rigged. Online casinos and their games are forced to go through rigorous testing from licensed parties to establish completely legitimacy and fairness. This doesn’t mean, however, that we won’t sometimes feel like luck just simply seems to have something against us. With live casino blackjack, for example, you can see the cards being dealt from the deck with absolutely no tomfoolery, which further solidifies the fact that these games are indeed legitimate. When playing against a computer program, it might sometimes feel just a little bit too convenient when the dealer has an amazing stroke of luck that costs you your win.
- Live casinos have more games. Nowadays, there are tons of variations of the most popular games that have been developed exclusively with live casinos in mind. This is yet another reason to invest in live games instead of the usual stuff.
Any reasons to choose normal online casino table games over live casino games?
Like we already mentioned, these things are a matter of preference more than anything else. Here are a few reasons why some people might feel more inclined to stay out of live casinos than to get in them.
- Live casinos limit your time to make decisions. When playing social games, there is a sense of urgency with your choices. Games such as roulette and blackjack have a betting period where you are supposed to place your bets, and if you don’t, the game will essentially move on without you. After this betting period is over, roulette games will simply conclude with the ball landing on a number, whereas in blackjack you will need to make further decisions down the line. In this famous card game’s live casino iterations, you will usually have about 30 seconds to decide whether you want to hit, stand, double down or split. If you are not familiar with the rules and tend to weigh in on your decisions a lot, live blackjack might not be for you.
- Live casino’s slower pace might irritate some people. Sometimes you might be on a schedule and just want to play a few rounds of your favourite game. Live casino tables are not for those without any time to spare.
There you have it, folks! We have now completely exhausted our gas tank as it pertains to live casinos. We feel like we have given you all the information possible, and you should now be more than ready to make your decision as to whether you want to give live casino games a try. While they might not be everyone’s cup of tee, we do believe that the vast majority of gamblers will enjoy them at least occasionally.
And hey, who said that you ever have to give up slots? You are always free to mix and match these two types of gambling any way you like—just as long as you mind your potential casino bonus rules!
Last Updated on October 3, 2019 by editor